CONTACT: PM to character journal or leloipa on plurk. I have a discord, but tend to not use it unless someone contacts me about wanting to talk there.
OTHER CHARACTERS IN THE PINES: N/A
NAME: Will Stanton
CANON: The Dark is Rising Sequence
CANON-POINT: Immediately post series
Will first awoke to his true power and heritage on his eleventh birthday. On that day he met a man named Merriman and a woman known only as the Lady, and he learned that he was the last of the Old Ones of the Light. Will learned that he had a gift, one that the very law of the universe demanded that he serve and one that he could not refuse. And that he was bound by his very nature to fight against the Dark. They told Will that with his awakening they knew that the time of the last great battle against the Dark was drawing near.
His first quest would be to reunite six signs of power that had been created by the Light over the ages. Over the week of Christmas Will sought out the six signs and reunited them while coming into his power and fighting off obstacles created by the Dark. With the signs reunited, Will called forth Herne the Hunter and the Wild Hunt to chase the Dark to the edges of the Earth.
The next summer Will traveled to Cornwall. There he assisted Merriman and three human children in the recovery of a stolen Grail and a lost manuscript. Will and Merriman used the artifacts to decipher a coded prophecy in Ogam on the side of the Grail.
Only a few months later Will became desperately ill with hepatitis. He lived, but at the cost of all his memories of his life as an Old One. He was left with only a few scraps of verse, instincts he couldn't understand, and the desperate knowledge that he had lost something more important than his own life.
Will's family sent him Wales to recuperate, and he spent a few days slowly wandering the hills searching for what he had lost. There, he met a white-haired and golden-eyed boy named Bran and remembered everything. Together the two boys would embark on a quest to find a golden harp and wake the seven sleepers. By the end of the adventure Bran's heritage as the son of King Arthur was revealed. And Will acknowledged his own duty to serve Bran just as Merlin had served King Arthur.
A year later Will returned to Wales. Along with Bran and the three children from Trewessick they fought the Dark in one last battle. They won and the Dark was cast out beyond time. But with the victory came a great cost. The great work of the Old Ones had ended and it was time for them to leave. Bran was given the choice to come live with his father, Arthur, but he chose to forget and live a mortal life. And Will's last task was to remain in the mortal world as the last watchman for his kind.
As the Old Ones sailed away, Merriman removed all memories of the great battle and magic from everyone's minds. Only Will remembered.
WHAT ARE YOUR CHARACTER'S STRENGTHS?
Will is a very thoughtful character. He rarely acts or speaks without thinking over it first. In many situations he behaves more like a wise old man than a child. Will is practical and pragmatic.
sometimes makes other people uncomfortable
knows exactly who he is
does not doubt himself
does not regret
WHAT ARE YOUR CHARACTER'S WEAKNESSES?:
difficulty understanding human emotion
separated from humanity
conflict between how he wishes the world was and how he knows it to be
subordination to the Light
WHAT EVENTS OR CIRCUMSTANCES IN YOUR CHARACTER'S PAST HAVE IMPACTED THEM THE MOST?:
removing Stephen's memory
WHAT MOTIVATES YOUR CHARACTER?:
WHAT IMPRESSION DO OTHERS TEND TO HAVE OF YOUR CHARACTER?:
ordinary and unremarkable
IN WHAT WAYS DOES THAT IMPRESSION DIFFER FROM WHO YOUR CHARACTER REALLY IS?:
HOW DOES YOUR CHARACTER HANDLE CRISIS OR ADVERSITY?:
WHICH 5 THINGS WILL YOUR CHARACTER REMEMBER UPON ARRIVAL, AND WHY DID YOU CHOOSE THEM?:
IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE YOU FEEL WE NEED TO KNOW ABOUT YOUR CHARACTER?:
SKILLS, ABILITIES, & PHYSICAL WEAKNESSES:
Will is an Old One, a member of a race of magical beings created from one of two main polarizing magical forces of the Universe. Old Ones are of the Light and they are bound in an eternal battle against the forces of the Dark.The Light seeks to defend humanities right to free will, while the Dark seeks to enslave humanity to the darker impulses of their own minds.
Old Ones claim to be very much like humans. They are born into human families, and live as humans do. In appearance there is no obvious difference. But in the end, they are something very different.
As an Old One, Will has access to a wide variety of powers.
- Time Travel
- Will is unaffected by time paradoxes.
- Old Ones exist outside of time. For them, all time is the present.
- Will can walk in and out of different times as he wills, and if he walks into a new time everyone there will remember him as always having been there.
- Will sometimes has visions of other times. This happens either by walking into a space where time is overlapping or by touching an object and willing himself to see its history.
- Control of Time
- Will can stop time for the people around him or put a single person outside of time for a moment.
- Will can speak into the minds of other Old Ones. He can also share mental images in this way.
- Will has an excellent memory. It is mentioned that the mind of an Old One is the safest place to leave important information, for it can never be truly forgotten.
- Will can sense the presence of other agents of the Light and Dark. He feels the Light as music and the Dark as a whirling uncomfortably disorienting feeling.
- The Old Speech
- All Old Ones instinctively know how to speak this language. In Will's world, all creatures of magic can speak and understand it as well.
- Will speaks and understands all the languages of men.
- Will uses the Old Speech to cast spells. Some spells can be cast with only a single word and gesture, while others are more complicated.
- Spells to control fire and water, sea and sky.
- Spells to use the abilities of different animals. To ride the wind like an eagle, to run like a deer and to swim like a fish.
- Spells using the virtues of different plants and animals
- Spells to identify and destroy the magic of the Dark
- Spells of protection
- Spells to use enchantment to temporarily acquire skills like horse riding and music
- Will cannot cast spells over running water or heal using magic. It is also mentioned that there are certain things like instant transportation or seeing visions of the future that he is not capable of yet.
- Will cannot die. Even if he becomes badly injured, he would be unable to die. However he is not invulnerable. He is as easy to injure as any human and has no healing ability.
- Basic Metal Engraving
- Physically, Will is no different from any human child. He is no stronger or more resistant than a human child. He can be injured and he can get sick. The only difference is that he can not die.
- About a year ago Will became very ill from Hepatitis. He was delirious with a very high fever during the worst of it. Canon implies that it took him a number of months to recover.
- Filled Water Bottle
- Hiking Boots
- Old Sheepskin Jacket
- Notepad and Pencil